Italy’s Euro 2024 qualifying campaign received a much-needed boost as Davide Frattesi, the rising star who only made his international debut for the Azzurri in June 2022, took center stage with a brilliant double. In a captivating match against Ukraine, Frattesi’s heroics secured a 2-1 victory that breathed new life into Italy’s ambitions of reaching the prestigious tournament.
The defending European champions found themselves in a precarious position after a 1-1 draw against North Macedonia had left them sitting in third place in Group C. But Frattesi, currently on loan at Sassuolo from Inter Milan, wasted no time in making his mark on the game. In a scintillating display of skill and determination, he netted twice within the first 29 minutes, firmly putting Italy in control of the contest.
Ukraine, however, did not go down without a fight. Andriy Yarmolenko managed to pull one back, injecting a sense of urgency into the match. Still, Italy’s resilience and Frattesi’s brilliance ultimately prevailed, allowing them to leapfrog Ukraine and claim second place in the group standings.
At the top of the table, England continued their strong campaign, defeating Scotland 3-1 in a friendly at Hampden Park, accumulating an impressive 13 points from five games. Italy, with seven points from four matches, now closely trails the English side. Meanwhile, Ukraine and North Macedonia find themselves level with Italy, also on seven points each from five games. The stakes are high, as only the top two teams at the conclusion of the group stage will secure their spot in Euro 2024, which is set to take place in Germany.
Looking ahead, Italy faces Malta at home in their next qualifier on October 14th, followed by a highly anticipated clash against England at Wembley just three days later. These upcoming fixtures promise to be pivotal in determining Italy’s fate in this exciting Euro 2024 qualification campaign.
In terms of statistics, Italy dominated possession with 64%, registered 22 shots (5 on target), and won 6 corners while committing just 5 fouls. On the other hand, Ukraine had 36% possession, managed 9 shots (3 on target), and failed to earn a single corner, but they were more aggressive with 14 fouls.
This thrilling encounter between Italy and Ukraine showcased the unpredictable nature of football and the emergence of Davide Frattesi as a key figure in Italy’s quest for Euro 2024 glory. The Azzurri faithful can now look forward to a fascinating journey ahead, with hopes of once again conquering the European stage.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Euro 2024 Qualifying Victory
What was the significance of Davide Frattesi’s performance in the Italy vs. Ukraine match?
Davide Frattesi’s performance was crucial as he scored two goals, helping Italy secure a 2-1 victory. This win was significant for Italy’s Euro 2024 qualifying campaign, boosting their chances of reaching the tournament.
How did Italy’s previous result against North Macedonia impact their position in the group standings?
Italy’s 1-1 draw with North Macedonia left them in a precarious third place in Group C before the match against Ukraine. This added pressure to secure a win to improve their standing in the group.
What is the current state of the group standings in Euro 2024 qualifying?
England leads Group C with 13 points from five games, followed closely by Italy with seven points from four matches. Ukraine and North Macedonia are also on seven points each from five games. Only the top two teams in the group will qualify for Euro 2024.
What are Italy’s upcoming fixtures in the Euro 2024 qualifying campaign?
Italy is set to face Malta at home on October 14th, followed by a crucial match against England at Wembley three days later. These fixtures will play a pivotal role in determining Italy’s qualification prospects.
How did the match statistics reflect the Italy vs. Ukraine encounter?
Italy dominated possession with 64%, had 22 shots (5 on target), and won 6 corners while committing 5 fouls. In contrast, Ukraine had 36% possession, managed 9 shots (3 on target), and failed to earn any corners but were more aggressive with 14 fouls.
What does this victory mean for Italy’s hopes in Euro 2024?
This victory revitalizes Italy’s hopes of qualifying for Euro 2024, moving them into a stronger position in the group. It also highlights the emergence of Davide Frattesi as a key player in their campaign.