Megan Keith, a former orienteering champion, has made an unconventional journey into top-level athletics, despite experiencing considerable success in orienteering during her teenage years. Now, at 21 years old, she is part of the Great Britain and Northern Ireland team competing in the World Championships in Budapest, where she will be participating in the 5,000m race.
Growing up in an active family in the Highlands, Keith engaged in various sports activities such as orienteering, rowing, skiing, and hill climbing during the summers. Her exceptional talent in orienteering led her to win gold medals at the European and World Youth Championships. However, she eventually realized that her running abilities overshadowed her navigation skills, prompting her to focus solely on running.
Though she started concentrating on running relatively late, at around 16 or 17 years old, Keith believes it was the right decision. Her journey into athletics has been enjoyable and low-pressure, even though it may have been an unconventional route.
Currently, Megan Keith is an impressive sports science student at Edinburgh University, and her recent achievements, including winning the 5,000m gold at the European Under-23 Championships and breaking her personal best time at the London Diamond League event, have garnered attention. Her time of 14:56.98 in the 5,000m race also qualifies her for the World Championships.
Despite her remarkable performances, Keith remains humble and doesn’t feel pressured, as the spotlight is often on other renowned Scottish athletes like Laura Muir, Eilish McColgan, and Jemma Reekie.
Overall, Megan Keith’s journey into the athletics limelight has been filled with exciting achievements and growth, making her a promising contender in the upcoming World Championships.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Athletics Limelight
1. Who is Megan Keith?
Megan Keith is a former orienteering champion who transitioned into top-level athletics. She has achieved success in both sports.
2. What were her achievements in orienteering?
During her teenage years, Megan Keith won gold medals at the European and World Youth Championships in orienteering.
3. What is her focus now in athletics?
Her primary focus in athletics is the 5,000m race, and she has been making significant progress and breaking personal bests.
4. When did she start focusing on running?
Megan Keith started focusing on running when she was around 16 or 17 years old, making her somewhat of a late starter in athletics.
5. What recent successes has she had in athletics?
She won the 5,000m gold at the European Under-23 Championships and achieved an impressive time at the London Diamond League event.
6. How does she feel about competing alongside other Scottish athletes?
Keith feels privileged to be part of a talented group of Scottish athletes performing at a high level, which reduces the pressure on her.
7. What is her educational background?
Megan Keith is a third-year sports science student at Edinburgh University.
8. What are her aspirations in athletics?
She aims to continue her athletic journey, compete at a high level, and possibly achieve further success in the future.
More about Athletics Limelight
- BBC Sport Article: “Megan Keith: Former orienteering champion navigating her way into athletics limelight” (https://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/57805696)
- European Athletics Profile: Megan Keith (https://european-athletics.com/athletes/group=k/athlete=181333-keith-megan/index.html)
- World Athletics: Profile for Megan Keith (https://worldathletics.org/athletes/great-britain-ni/megan-keith-14864626)
- Edinburgh University Sports Union (https://www.eusu.ed.ac.uk/au-club-pages/athletics/)
- European Under-23 Championships (https://european-athletics.com/competitions/european-athletics-u23-championships)
- London Diamond League (https://www.diamondleague.com/home/)